Sunday, May 3, 2009

Reality Show for Doggies

Just when I think I've seen the silliest reality shows possible, another one pops up. I had my TV on the HGTV channel. I was watching some decorating show when I got bored and walked away. I got on the computer to browse the Internet for a while and when I glanced back at my computer, I was amazed. Amazed at how stupid the show was.

The show is simple. Think Survivor meets The Bachelor meets Dog Whisperer. It's about a family that is looking for a lovable dog to keep as a pet. They start with a certain number of dogs of all ages, sizes and breeds. They go through challenges, have family meetings and even take advice from a dog psychic. Yes, psychic. I'd be a little bit more accepting of the title "dog whisperer" than "psychic" but ok, whatever floats her boat.

To win a challenge, the family members compete in different games along with their favorite dog. The dog that wins the challenge with his/her partner wins immunity from being voted off. They consult with a dog psychic to see if the dog likes it there, how the dog likes the potential owners, how the dog feels about the other dogs, etc - a survey of the dog's psychological and emotional warfare.

The family members (which consist of a mom, dad, two brothers and a sister) argue with each other about which dog gets to stay and which needs to go. Their house is huge and their backyard has plenty of space to house a very large family with one dog each person. They seem to be very well off. I think the family is down to 7 dogs now.

I didn't watch the show because I thought it was a stupid concept... but I left the TV on. I guess maybe for company. As I glanced back to the TV to see what was up, I saw that elimination had already been done and a dog has been chosen to leave the home. The family member that was most attached to that dog was the youngest boy. It was gut-wrenching to see him say good-bye to the dog.

If you're a true animal lover, it will be tough anytime you have to say bye to an animal you have become very attached to and know you probably will never see it again. This is especially true for the 7-year-old boy who has become very attached to this dog. Why go through the pain and suffering to choose the "perfect" family pet?

I say, cut the crap and keep all 7.

No comments: