Monday, January 5, 2009

What I did in 2008

I left 2008 behind with lots of memories, both good and bad. People have already asked me how I would rank 2008 compared to other years. With at least 50 years ahead of me (I hope), it's impossible to determine 2008's status just yet. With tons of articles on resolutions and photos of 2008's main events gracing the Internet, I figured I'd take the time and record my most memorable events during 2008. As you can see from my list, I've had a lot of ups and downs, but overall, I think it was a good year.

I watched movies - lots and lots of movies!

Welcomed a new niece into the family.

Went skydiving for my 26th birthday.

Went on a 2-week road trip.

Celebrated my son's 2nd birthday.

Wrecked my car.

Attended college.

Got a job.

Got laid off.

Helped plan, design and open the Deaf Center at church.

Got divorced.

Had a "real" ride on a motorcycle that lasted more than 2 minutes.

My daughter turned 7 (although I wasn't with her - we'll celebrate it here soon!).

Out of everything I've done, I figured movies have taken much more of my time than anything else.

Just for fun, I wanted to check out my Netflix movie-watching history. I counted 169 DVD rentals. The majority of them were movies, but 32 of the DVD rentals were TV shows. I decided to do some math. At 137 movies at an average of 2 hours each, I have watched 274 hours. For TV shows on an average of 3.5 hours each, I have watched 112 hours. This brings my total hours watched to 386 hours - and when you break it down, that means a total of 16 DAYS (yes, 24 hour days) of nothing but sitting on my couch and watching pretty colors move on my TV screen. Amazing, isn't it?

If I had to pick top/memorable DVDs from my list, here's what I would pick:

The Ultimate Gift, Stardust, Freaks, The Lost Room, Doogie Howser M.D., The Autopsy Files, Into The Wild, 27 Dresses, No Country for Old Men, Jackass series, Juno, Saw, Saw II, Saw III, Saw IV, Door to Door, The Other Boleyn Girl, Dukes of Hazzard, Made of Honor, Heroes Seasons 1 & 2, The Love Guru, House of D, and finally, Dexter.

Actually, I figure I would have to add another 3 or 4 days to my total watch time. Thanks to Redbox and their free codes on Mondays & Wednesdays, I have rented plenty more. I would list my favorites but I wouldn't remember them all.

As I sit here and contemplate the fact that I have watched 2 weeks and 2 days worth of movies and TV shows (again, this doesn't count Redbox, movies I've seen on TV or all the TV shows on TV now), I wonder - is this a waste of my time? Granted, I could be doing lots more other stuff in 16 days. Probably get a lot more accomplished. If I took my hours of watching movies and turned them into working out, I'd be all fit and sexy now. Oh well.

Although I have devoted a lot of time to movies, I'd have to say I don't regret it (yet). I love movies and I plan to watch many many more in 2009.

No comments: