Monday, December 14, 2009

What's Your Sign?

The lamest pick-up line heard around the nation is making its way onto my blog. But don't fret - this is the last you'll hear of it (from me, at least). Somehow "What's your sign?" evolved from a pick-up line (that may or may not have worked) to a running joke. Along with "Are your legs tired? Because you've been running through my mind all night!", "what's your sign" has been cast as the universal language for geeks (or college freshmen) chasing after the woman they'll never get...and I thought that this would be the only way I'd hear about it.

I decided to look up my Horoscope for today...

You can tell that things are a little different today -- but you might not be
able to put your finger on it. Let your subconscious investigate for the time
being -- things are going to get even more interesting soon!


I don't have any insights on what that might mean, but I don't really care. Maybe today's different because it's Monday, not Sunday.

Anyway... the other day, I had a conversation with someone about birthdays. He was looking me up on Facebook and noticed my birthday. Coincidentally, our birthdays are less than a month apart - which meant that we were both Tauruses. "Ah, Tauruses - perfect match, don't you think?" (or something along the lines)... Whether that was a pick-up line or not - that's the least of my cares right now - that actually made me think.

People either believe in Astrology or they do not. I've seen people check magazines and newspapers to see what the horoscope was for the day. I had a friend who would read the Astrology page to see if her day would be good or bad. I always thought that was funny - allowing what someone says on a newspaper page shape your day.

Have you noticed? Astrology is "carefully" an art. What I mean by carefully is that the "predictions" are both positive and negative. It is neither straightforward nor too abstract. Astrology will say that you're going to have an obstacle but you will triumph. Yeah - an obstacle could be a red light on my way to work, right? Maybe not.

People who read Astrology also believe in what they say about who they will get along with best and who are supposed to be their mortal enemies. People will make decisions about you, your personality, likes & dislikes based on your birthday. How about that? They also decide who you're supposed to spend the rest of your life with.

Astrology lists your strengths and weaknesses along with what you're like personality-wise, how you handle problems/stress, etc... When you really think about it - any of the signs could apply to ANYBODY. How you've lived your life, what your family's like, your socio-economic background, etc all determines who you are, not what Astrology says....

So if anybody asks me what my sign is, I'll kick him in the nutz.

No comments: