Thursday, April 23, 2009

Becoming Physically Active

I mentioned in my previous entry that I've started to change my eating habits and trying to become more physically active. In the midst of "The Biggest Loser" craze, I impulsively joined Jillian's online club. Don't get me wrong - I don't think I'm fat (or too fat). Just a little chubby in some areas, mostly baby fat. I'm at the right weight for my height and build, so I don't really need to lose weight. My goal is to lose the fat I have, become toned, healthy and active. As for me joining Jillian's online club, you may think it's so cliche. I have no doubt that it'll work, it's all up to me to stick to it. Jillian has an incredible track record. Every person that has won the title as 'The Biggest Loser' was trained by Jillian. I feel bad for Bob, though. He's really, and I mean REALLY, cute and he's so nice (compared to how Jillian can get!). I wouldn't mind having Bob train me :)

Anyway, I joined Jillian's club a few days ago but haven't started my workouts yet. My first day of the program starts today. So far, I'm really liking the website. It tells you how many calories you can eat each day depending on your physical activity level, your metabolic rate and all that stuff. I took a detailed quiz on my body type, what foods agree/disagree with me, what I crave, etc to find out what my metabolism is. Then, from there - I found out what type of foods I can/should eat. On top of all that, the website has built a customized menu for me, 3 meals and a snack, every day of the week. I can simply change a menu item to an available option if I don't want to eat it. I can print out a shopping list for all the food for the entire week and just go. It's a super-nice feature. The website also has workouts for you to do everyday. You can simply print them out and take them with you. There are 5 circuits of 3 exercises each and I have to go through each circuit 3 times doing 15 reps each. Uh oh. What did I get myself into? I'm still waiting on her DVD and book to arrive. I'm wondering if I can do the online exercises AND her 20-minute daily workout from the DVD. I'll find out soon enough.

Another feature on the website is a journal to keep track of your thoughts, feelings and weight progress (there's a chart that you can do to track your weight by adding a new number each day, week, whatever). Below is my first entry on the website... I thought I'd share it with you:

It's 8:30 in the morning and I feel blah. I guess it has more to do with
not getting enough sleep than anything else. I'm on my 5th week of the
secondary internship at Barbara Jordan. I'm also teaching GED English on
Tuesday nights until 9pm. I also do data entry for MMS whenever I
can. On top of it all, I try to find time for myself - TV, movies, playing
with my kids and sleeping - though sleeping is at the bottom of my list. I think
I have indulged myself too much with TV/movies. But on the other hand, I
have been more physically active lately. Not very active - but I
rollerbladed the past two weekends. I got a free week pass at a
gym and went three times. All three times, I worked out for a minimum
of 2 hours. That's more than I ever did in the past. I tried my first
Jillian recipe last night. I cooked Festive Thai Shrimp. Good, but
could be improved. I did not measure my food so I think I ate more than a
serving. I didn't even finish my bowl, though. Carbs fills me up
quickly. Every night, I set a goal to start working out "tomorrow." But
everyday, when I wake up tired and drained, I think that I wouldn't be able to
find the energy to exercise. Let's hope that changes at 4:30 when I get
home.

So... with the program starting today for me, I am determined to follow the schedule they've given me. I get two days off each week - that's good, right? I'm wondering if I'll actually go through with the exercises. Right now, I'm thinking I'm going to force myself to do it no matter what, but who knows? I'll keep you updated.

No comments: