Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Unknown

"You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

I had this quote in one of my posts a while back. I found it fitting to post it again. Sometimes we all have to remind ourselves that in order to experience new things, we have to let go of what we are familiar with. It's scary to step into the unknown but sometimes that's what we have to do. It's even better if you have a friend or someone to do it with instead of being all on your own. I know I'd rather have someone with me - admittedly, I don't have the guts to do much on my own. That's probably my greatest downfall.

I got offered a job yesterday. Today was my first day. It's an alright job that pays me enough so I can pay my bills. It's a temporary part time job that may or may not last until October. They may keep me on until January. Or maybe not. It may last longer than January. Or maybe not.

I got another job offer today from Houston ISD. I am being offered a long-term sub position if I want it. It's only for 6 weeks.

What I'm mad about is that the jobs are temporary. What I need is a permanent stable job that gives me an income for the next school year. Is that too much to ask!?

A while ago, I was playing around with the idea of moving to another state for a job if I was offered the job. The more I thought about it, the more I knew that I wanted to move. I still want to move for many reasons. The weather being one of them. NYC being the other.

Now - I'm thinking that even though I was offered these two temporary jobs (and I can only have one, not both), it wouldn't last. So now I am thinking that maybe I still want to move anyway. A part of me thinks that it's a stupid and rash decision. The other side of me thinks that this is what I may need to do. Maybe I'll find a job there that isn't teaching-related.

One thing is for certain - I HATE JOB HUNTING!

No comments: