Sunday, August 23, 2009

Not enough time in the day

It's amazing how much 8 hours a day can change your life.

I have been so busy that I haven't had time to write, but that doesn't mean I forgot. Writing, or rather blogging, has always in the back of my mind. Sometimes I'd think of something that I would want to write about and that it would be a really good topic - I've had to push it out of my head and tell myself I'd have to get to it later. Lately, I've been coming up with ideas at the most inopportune times... right when I'm about to fall asleep (how I wish there was a dream recording device or an electronic filing software in your brain), when I'm at work, in a meeting, in church.. basically anywhere that would be inappropriate to whip out the phone and start taking notes. Once, I had the urge to write right before I fell asleep and actually got out of bed to take notes. I started writing and writing - and when I was done, I couldn't sleep. Couldn't sleep for an hour, and I had an early morning the next day. That wasn't fun. I write best when I get the urge to - but as I've learned (and probably all other writers), you don't always get to write at that moment. I guess it's handy to have a word processing software on the computer (at home and where I work) or my phone nearby to take notes with - but it's just not the same as actually sitting down and writing.

Anyway, what's new with me now? Not a whole lot but it certainly feels like my life has changed. First of all, I got a full-time job and I enjoy it (for now). I hate getting up in the morning - that hasn't changed and it never will - but I do look forward to going to work. Yes, you heard me right. It's not because I LOVE my job so much (although I do like it - the hours are good, income is enough, and the people are really nice), but it's because I'm DOING something. I want to feel worthwhile - I want to feel like I'm contributing to something rather than just taking up space and air. While this job isn't my dream job, it's enough to make me happy. I'd love to teach, but I can't say that teaching would be my dream job ... I think I haven't discovered that yet about myself. What do I do? I work for a school apparel company. It's a small company started up by a friend's mother. The company makes t-shirts, handbags, accessories and hairbows (especially hairbows) for girls involved in cheerleading, sports, dance, etc. I really like how my boss values my time and my help there. I have been so busy doing my job and helping several co-workers around the office. It's really nice to feel appreciated.

Enough about my job... let's talk about something fun and exciting. Because I have a job now that pays well and is stable/long-term, I've started looking for another place to live. I've been meaning to move out eventually but never had a good reason to. Why move out and run the risk of having to pay a higher price when income isn't really stable? I started to really think about moving out when I got word that PA might want me to teach there. Back in June, I was contacted about the opportunity to move and teach at a school for the deaf in Scranton, PA. Initially, my response was "no way!" I slowly warmed up to the idea. I discussed it with a close friend and finally came around to telling my parents. Of course, they had their concerns about me moving so far away, but I have family in the northeast so it wouldn't be that bad. After thinking for a while, my decision was made. If I was offered the job, I would move. A month and a half came and went and I heard nothing from PA. My dreams of moving right next door to NYC were dashed.

Over the last two weeks, I was contacted by three different school districts and I was offered a job. Two were long-term substitute positions that would be temporary. One of them MIGHT become permanent but I couldn't take a gamble on that - especially not that I've landed a full-time job. Finally, PA contacts me and tries their hardest to convince me to move up there. They were offering me a substitute to come take over for me until I decided I was ready to move up there and take over. Ultimately, after considering everything, I had to say no. Maybe next year. Hopefully.

With PA spurring my thoughts on moving to a new place (instead of apartments, I had planned to rent a house up there.. cost of living is cheap in that town), I decided that I wanted to move out of this apartment and into something better. When this job came up and I was offered a permanent position, I immediately jumped on the idea of renting a house instead of apartment.

Sooo... for the last week and a half, I've been looking and looking online for houses to rent. I visited four houses over the weekend and fell in love with one of them. The location's great, the price is really good (only $100 more than my apartment), there's a yard for my kids and dog to play in, a nice sized living room and kitchen, includes all the appliances... what's not to like? I had initially wanted a 4-bedroom house and this one was a 3-bedroom. While I have a yard, it's not quite large enough. Sooo, I'm on the hunt again this week for 4-bedroom houses and hopefully will be checking them out soon.

Well, I think I've managed to write an actual chapter on just two little topics - new full-time job and house-hunting. Maybe I have the traits to become a successful (but boring and drawn-out) writer, haha.

As I mentioned above, not much has really changed in my life, but it's enough to make me happy. With a small change such as a full-time job, I feel like it's the starting point to help me become happy in other areas. While money isn't everything, it's obviously very important. I'm being kept busy (maybe too busy, because I still have my obligations as a GED teacher on Tuesday nights, manager of the LBDCC at church, leading the women's retreat, acting as treasurer again for the women's ministry, and filling in for people who tend to flake out on stuff. Let's not forget being a maid, friend, mother, sister and daughter), and I'm rarely alone anymore. I'm always around people now, so I'm grateful for that.

Anyway, it's time to close up shop here and get to bed. My kids are starting their first day of school tomorrow. It'll be my son's very very first day of school and he's super excited! I'll be back tomorrow (or later this week) to write on his blog, armed with photos and maybe a story or two about my son's exciting adventure of starting school!

No comments: