Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Defending My Decision

Since it's Election day and everyone's making such a big deal out of it, I figured I'd go with the flow and have a little say in it. I've tried to refrain myself from participating in the madness, but I decided that I wanted to have a voice.... especially since a lot of people I know keep trying to convince me to vote a particular way. Of course, that's to be expected right around Election time. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I'm definitely entitled to my own. Yes, I think voting is a big deal, but when the two choices are Dumb and Dumber (who is which is something I'll keep to myself), sometimes it's just best not to vote. I didn't vote. Before you political activists start whining, I'm going to explain exactly just why I didn't vote. Then maybe, if you understand my position, you'll hush and go on about your business.

This isn't meant to convince anyone to vote for a particular party. This isn't meant to convince anyone to NOT to vote. Even though I know I don't have to explain myself to anybody, I have decided that I want to. Chances are, you've already voted or voting is over. Either way, I still want to get my thoughts across.

My reasons for not voting:

#1: Texas has always been a strong Republican state. It wouldn't have mattered which way I voted - McCain/Palin would win regardless.

#2: As I stated above, when the choices are Dumb and Dumber, how can you vote? It's not about who will fix our problems - it's about who's less likely to make a bigger mess.

#3: If I voted for McCain, I would be supporting the war. That's a no-no. We should have NEVER invaded Iraq in the first place. That's old business that Bush #1 started and it should have been left alone. Here's a little history lesson: Iraq has nothing to do with Osama Bin Laden. By all means, if you find Bin Laden, I've LOVE to torture him Saw-style.

#4: If I voted for Obama, I could potentially be helping him overturn the Partial-Birth Abortion ban. A good friend of mine said "How can you in good conscience vote for someone that goes against what you strongly believe in?" Extremely valid point. If I voted for Obama, it would have been because of the promising economic future and universal health care. If, in his four years of presidency, he overturns the Partial-Birth Abortion ban, how could I ever live with myself if I was partly responsible for making it happen?

#5: Republicans tend to focus more on the wealthy. Being a working class citizen that's financially struggling, I kind of have an issue with that. Yes, they are being taxed. They pay a slightly higher tax if they make over $250,000 a year. However, they are entitled to a few extra tax breaks that the lower-income families don't have. Spread the wealth around!

#6: On the other hand, Democrats are known to be sympathetic to the less fortunate and believe in helping them out. While I don't consider myself poor (compared to many others), I also have an issue with this. Although I am financially struggling, I refuse to rely on the government for help. If I can find ways to stay afloat, I'll go down that path. I have an extreme problem with those that sit back and take advantage of everything the government offers them: Food Stamps, WIC, Medicaid/Medicare, SSI, SSDI, and much more. I have a friend who was denied help because she made $1 or so above their limit. She had one child, a college education, actively seeking employment and was in need of temporary help. On the other hand, I know a couple who's expecting their fourth child (on purpose) and they're using EVERY government help available to them. Here's the kicker: they aren't doing much of anything to seek better employment or even education (they're not educated beyond high school).

There's lots of things wrong with this country nowadays. I think we're FUBR'd. We're too much into the deep right now for any immediate relief. It'll take years and several honest/smart people to fix this mess. People who aren't politicians. I don't think either candidate is qualified on the basis of lack of experience (Obama) and poor economic planning (McCain). Regardless of who wins tonight, I just hope they can refrain from screwing up America in the next 4 years.

I just received a text message from a friend and I thought I'd pass it on: "Due to long lines, Obama voters are asked to vote on Wednesday. Thank you."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good blog :-) valid points :-) well done! :-) tee heee! M

VeryTinyLadybug said...

I am glad to find just one more person with same political view as mine... finally! Way to go, M!