Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lesson #2 for my daughter

Well, I'm writing today.... at 10:30 in the morning - which means that I'm not working today. I woke up at 5am with good intentions to get up, get ready and then go to work. But I had a monstrous headache that made me feel sick to my stomach. I haven't had that kind of headache in a really long time.

I tried to wake up my daughter, but she refused to wake up. Her eyes were closed, but the corners of her mouth were turned up just a teeny tiny bit so I knew she was giggling on the inside. She was awake. After several minutes of trying, I was reminded that I felt sick. I decided to just call in sick and went back to bed. I figure my huge headache had to do with only sleeping 4 hours each night on average, working 8 hours, going home to deal with the kids, do homework and some lesson planning. Lately, I just haven't been able to sleep....

So this morning, I crashed. I woke up again to get my daughter ready for school. Again - she didn't want to wake up. I was still feeling sick so I thought, forget it, she'll stay home and suffer another lesson. She hadn't missed a day of school yet so I decided it was ok to miss today.

At around 9:00 or 9:30, she wakes me up and says "I'm ready to go to school now." Haha, yeah right. I told her no, she was staying home today. She got upset and started crying - she WANTED to go to school. A little bit too late for that, huh? She just wanted to sleep in a liiiiiiiitle bit. Sorry honey, doesn't work that way.

So, I kept her home and had a talk with her. School and work does not work on OUR schedule. We can't just wake up whenever we want and decide "Ok, it's time to go." Today, I'm teaching her another lesson. She's staying in her room. She doesn't get the TV. She's going to work in an educational lesson book for several hours - and she's going to get all the worksheets right. Tonight, she's going to bed at 7.

Maybe now she'll think twice about sleeping in again.

No comments: